PDA

View Full Version : Unseizing coilovers!

Tom
02-23-2011, 03:26 AM
Really need some help with this as im getting really pissed off with them!

Bought some D2 coilovers for my GC8 impreza (second hand), ran them through the winter at the height they were at but now really need to lower them. The rears were fine, all collars loosened without any trouble at all really, and the big purple bit at the bottom turned easily enough aswell.

However, got to the fronts and they just arent moving. Got all collars undone and moving. But its just the big purple bit that wont move. Tried everything whilst on the car.

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww269/shawzy46/DSC00655.jpg
(I know pic is of rear coilovers, but just to show you what i mean by big purple bit lol)

So last night took them to my mates workshop and we got them in the vice, heated them up with heat gun and got a massive pipe as an extension....but still not fucking moving! They were just twisting in the vice and fucking up the threads!! Couldnt apply any more force as they were just turning and not coming undone.

Has anyone got any more ideas of what we could try? Cant afford to buy another set and cant really sell these on as they are seized so really dont know what to do :(

Can they be sent off to be rebuilt by D2? Or could they supply just the front coilovers? Running out of options now :(

Thanks
Tom.

evilchargerfan
02-23-2011, 04:52 AM
try hella pb blaster ... let that shit soak in over night. spray on like 2 or 3 time. if that fails call up and ask for a warranty repair

this bromance brought to you by ... teh t-mobile G2!

Pyrotechnic
02-23-2011, 05:11 AM
Are you 100% sure the fronts adjust? I can't see why they wouldn't, but I also can't see why they'd be so impossible to move :/

jdhiatt
02-23-2011, 05:30 AM
I actually had a friend that was using ARK DT-P coilovers and he has/had the same problem. He tried everything under the sun and nothing would make the damn base move in either direction. Have you tried using a rubber mallet and a shit ton of PB Blaster? If not I would try to see if D2 will help you out even though you got them second hand. Who knows but good luck man!

eastonis300
02-23-2011, 06:23 AM
I had the same problem,

I used a shit ton of PB blaster and a chisel and hammer took some work but finally worked out

b00duh
02-23-2011, 06:58 AM
I use a shortened sledge hammer and a lot of PB Blaster on my winter coilovers when I clean them. Every year I take apart my coilovers, clean the threads and collars then spray white grease all over them so that sand and salt doesn't get the threads all gunked up.

RLB
02-23-2011, 07:13 AM
Like everyone says PB Blaster and a BFH. I used to some heat to break loose my BC's once but the cartridges were blown so i didn't have to worry about messing them up any more they were already.

civicseth
02-23-2011, 07:14 AM
My buddy had some ksports, which are basically the same thing as yours, and his were seized up. We ended up accidentally breaking off the lower mount, due to it being aluminum because they were that seized up. Avoid those brands in the future. He ended up having to buy a new lower mount direct from k-sport to get them to work.

SirLuxCL9
02-23-2011, 07:22 AM
:grin:+1 for PB BLaster

B*A*M
02-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Had the same thing happen to my Cusco's that I had previously. Nothing would budge them. PB Blaster wouldn't touch them. Even used the weight of a forklift to try to free them up and no luck. They're just ornaments in my garage now. :( Hoping I don't have the same issue with my Stance's. Before I installed the Stance's, I tore them completely down and used anti-seize on all the collars and the lower mount. Sprayed the remaining exposed threads with a protective lubricant, can't remember what exactly it was, something that was supposed to repel dirt and water but not wd40.

Good luck to you!

snowflow mfg
02-23-2011, 10:30 AM
I have D2 coilovers and this is how I deal with it. My rear pass. shaft won't budge either. Do your bottom purple piece lock with that collar or does it have two allen bolts on the back of it. (mine has the allen bolts instead of a collar). If yours uses allen bolts then what I do is take a large screwdriver or some little ones, but they need to be flathead, and I put them in the gap that the bolts hold together and I wedge them in with a hammer, but not really hard. This opens up the threads and allows it to move. I then shoot some pb blaster and it turns like a charm, then when you're done, just pull the wedges out and you're done.

Stance_Armstrong
02-23-2011, 02:40 PM
i take it you can't buy replacement cartridges?

Tom
02-24-2011, 02:43 AM
I have D2 coilovers and this is how I deal with it. My rear pass. shaft won't budge either. Do your bottom purple piece lock with that collar or does it have two allen bolts on the back of it. (mine has the allen bolts instead of a collar). If yours uses allen bolts then what I do is take a large screwdriver or some little ones, but they need to be flathead, and I put them in the gap that the bolts hold together and I wedge them in with a hammer, but not really hard. This opens up the threads and allows it to move. I then shoot some pb blaster and it turns like a charm, then when you're done, just pull the wedges out and you're done.

No mines just got a locking collar above it.

Never heard of PB blaster before and dont know if we get it over here in UK! Going to have a look now.

Got one of the fronts done so just one coilover that is stopping me slamming it!! Dont want to put too much for on as im scared of snapping off the brackets.

RLB
02-24-2011, 06:50 AM
PB Blaster can looks like this...
http://image.truckinweb.com/f/18714675/0907tr_21_z+101_garage_tips+pb_blaster.jpg

After some quick google searching, the name PlusGas seems to keep popping up. Maybe you've heard of it?
http://www.cromwell.co.uk/static/products/g/jeeps/755/plu755350a.eps_large.jpg

b00duh
02-24-2011, 07:08 AM
are you cleaning the threads before moving the collars up?

snowflow mfg
02-24-2011, 08:42 AM
Oh shit, I think you may be in trouble then. That's my only saving grace on mine. Everyone says to use the pb blaster but that's doesn't always work. I think a combination of heating up the bracket and applying pb blaster will be your best bet since the heat will open up the threads a little and allow the pb blaster to get deep into it. Don't be surprised if they're done for though. Let me know if it doens't work and you want to sell them. I need a couple new d2's.

BJManies
02-24-2011, 12:58 PM
This may be a common sense answer to your problems, but its in depth and maybe it could help.

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/369365-how-unseize-your-coilovers.html

Hope it helps man.

evil03
02-24-2011, 01:42 PM
its pretty common water gets inside the threads and seized it up pb blaster works!!! getter wonders!

yayo
02-25-2011, 04:09 PM
you guys are gonna laugh but this old trick works wonders....Melt candle wax down in to the threads...that trick does wonders...i've broken loose heated and rusted nuts off exhaust housings on turbos...

evilchargerfan
02-25-2011, 05:46 PM
how's that candle trick work??? I'm curious of this will help me remove a stuck bolt on my car (trying to install rear camber bolts ... but the oem one is being stubborn)

this bromance brought to you by ... teh t-mobile G2!

yayo
02-25-2011, 07:33 PM
how's that candle trick work??? I'm curious of this will help me remove a stuck bolt on my car (trying to install rear camber bolts ... but the oem one is being stubborn)

ideally you want the thread of the nut or bolt to be in an up right position so the candle wax can run its way into the threads. but bascially you would have a lit candle drip the hot wax onto the threads (heating the bolt or nut will also help the wax travel farther into the threads) than bascially back the nut or bolt out. trick works like a charm...On bolts you can also drip wax from the top side also...the wax some how sneaks its way inbetween two surfaces when its hot..

cameck
04-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Hey there, brand new dude to the forums hailing from Washington state.
Hoping some people can help me out with my current situation with some coilovers that came from NJ.

I got these around 2 months ago and I've been trying to get them unseized for ~20 man hours.
This process included help from my good friend, a lot of breaker bar work; hammer & chisel work; more cans of PB Blaster and other penetrating lubricants than I can count; heat from a propane torch; time and patience and a lot of cursing.
In the end I haven't been able to get some of the bottom brackets to move at all, and unfortunately one of the threads of a coilover was damaged due to an accident where the vice ripped through our protective material. My buddy said a thread file may be able to help, but if anybody has any suggestions for any of my problems. I would be incredibly grateful.

Pics included:
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1273/coiloversfackyou004.jpg
The one lower bracket I got off.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/3051/coiloversfackyou006.jpg
Damaged threads from the vice. :(

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/7530/coiloversfackyou005.jpg
Never knew I would be in for this...

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/6295/coiloversfackyou008.jpg
How they sat at the end of a long day, spring on right is compressed nearing the max to try and use the springs compression to allow more pressure on the bottom bracket.

Hoping I can get some more help than I have already. I'm going to try an air hammer tomorrow if time allows it.

-Cam

stpkenton
04-06-2011, 08:17 PM
i know it has been said, but PB blast has never failed me, and don't put it in a vice you will damage the threads and never get it off. just be patient. it will work eventually, i had to soak one bolt on a cat for a day, heat it up and spray again let sit for another day. it worked after 2 days.

stpkenton
04-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Hey there, brand new dude to the forums hailing from Washington state.
Hoping some people can help me out with my current situation with some coilovers that came from NJ.

I got these around 2 months ago and I've been trying to get them unseized for ~20 man hours.
This process included help from my good friend, a lot of breaker bar work; hammer & chisel work; more cans of PB Blaster and other penetrating lubricants than I can count; heat from a propane torch; time and patience and a lot of cursing.
In the end I haven't been able to get some of the bottom brackets to move at all, and unfortunately one of the threads of a coilover was damaged due to an accident where the vice ripped through our protective material. My buddy said a thread file may be able to help, but if anybody has any suggestions for any of my problems. I would be incredibly grateful.

Pics included:

The one lower bracket I got off.

Damaged threads from the vice. :(

Never knew I would be in for this...

How they sat at the end of a long day, spring on right is compressed nearing the max to try and use the springs compression to allow more pressure on the bottom bracket.

Hoping I can get some more help than I have already. I'm going to try an air hammer tomorrow if time allows it.

-Cam
off topic.......are those stance gr+, i have those and never had a problem. they make the locking rings a little loose on thread engagment. TEIN's are notorious for sticking

cameck
04-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the response dude. I'll just have to pick up some more cans of PB. We had wood and a bike tube wrapped around the threads, but the wood broke and the vice still damaged the threads unfortunately on one of them. I just picked up a thread file today and I'm going to start working on getting it back in ship shape, or have to blow money on a new shock.

Yeah, those are the Stance GR+ Pro 10k/8k with the helper spring. Probably going to take off those helper springs for the moar low factor.
Picked up for $900, but with the amount of time I've taken trying to get them to work, I could have saved up for some new ones...
Lesson learned.

stpkenton
04-07-2011, 01:49 PM
hope the thread file works for you, i would also spray the threads with some kind of paint after(light coat only) to prevent any kind of rust buildup. i cant remember if the thread's were steel or aluminum. good luck

SillyBilly
04-13-2011, 07:09 PM
PB blaster has never failed me either. Patience is definitely necessary.

The thing about coilovers is that with all that exposed metal, they need routine maintinance. Once a month i jack the car up, take the wheels off, clean the barrels, and clean out the wheel wells. Since the car is already up, i take a paint pen and make marks on my locking collars, (the ones still on there anyways hehe) lower bracket, etc. and loosen everything up. Use a wire brush to loosen any corrosion, and spray a liberal amount of wd40, or similar product that displaces water onto them. Wipe off the excess, and reassemble. So far i have zero issues, and i'm confident that everything works.

Also a good idea to prep your coilovers with an anti-seize compound before you install to prevent these kinds of issues.

Just my $.02

cameck
04-14-2011, 12:08 AM
PB blaster has never failed me either. Patience is definitely necessary.

The thing about coilovers is that with all that exposed metal, they need routine maintinance. Once a month i jack the car up, take the wheels off, clean the barrels, and clean out the wheel wells. Since the car is already up, i take a paint pen and make marks on my locking collars, (the ones still on there anyways hehe) lower bracket, etc. and loosen everything up. Use a wire brush to loosen any corrosion, and spray a liberal amount of wd40, or similar product that displaces water onto them. Wipe off the excess, and reassemble. So far i have zero issues, and i'm confident that everything works.

Also a good idea to prep your coilovers with an anti-seize compound before you install to prevent these kinds of issues.

Just my $.02

Idk if this was directed at my coilover troubles or just in general, but I thought I would respond.

I suggest to everybody to buy coilovers new unless you can see them in person, I learned that the hard way. I plan on doing everything SillyBilly has said once I get them on my car. Today my friend who works in a shop was able to air hammer the shit out of them and finally break loose the bottom brackets. I'm going to talk to him in detail about it tomorrow. Once I get some pictures and get them cleaned up, I'll throw them in this thread to maybe provide some help to anybody who bought coilovers like I did with a ridiculous amount of seizure. (I've soaked them in PB Blaster for upwards of 24 hours twice, and lots of small PB sprays in between to no avail.)

That was a contributing cause in getting them freed though, along with heat, an air hammer and breaker bars.
I will add to this thread at a later date though...as soon as I get them taken care of, which will hopefully be soon.

SillyBilly
04-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Wasn't directed at you personally, just more like general info, and sharing what works for me.

Good to hear you got yours loose.

I agree on the point of buying new, or at least get very detailed pictures, or keep in mind the location of the seller.

private_numero
04-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Got the same problem as you. Got over, nothing else worked. So i just ordered a new d2 coilover before i screw it up even more

cameck
05-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Continued from a couple posts up...
I finally got my coilovers completely free and installed.

This is going to be a long-winded post, it's been a long time coming and I want to go over all that I had to do to get them free.

Before this post:
Breaker bars, heat, PB Blaster soaks of +12 hours w/ reapplication, breaking spanner wrenches, man-power, hammer and chisel.
Carnage-asada from all of these methods
http://imageshack.us/m/402/6605/installanchor049.jpg
I was starting to lose hope.

What finally worked for me, while still including PB Blaster and heat was an air hammer with a chisel on the collars/lower bracket.
I wasn't there to see this unfortunately because my buddy works at a dealership and for all purposes they were "his coilovers".

I finally got them back and saw why they had been turned to such utter shit. Heaping amount of rust and grime in the threads and generally everywhere underneath the lower bracket.

With them finally off, I had to deal with damaged threads from a vice used earlier that went awry.
I used a pitch measure which dialed it out to 2.0mm, and then bought the appropriate thread file and went to town. This took a good few hours of work, and nothing's perfect, but they work.
This is after filing down a lot of what was wrong.
http://imageshack.us/m/706/6019/installanchor034.jpg
After this I used a wire wheel on each of them and wicked away most of the rust along with a bigger stainless steel brush. I then finished it off with a small brass toothbrush and although they still are rusty colored, there are no more huge chunks of cancer eating away my POS coilovers.
Top picture has one cleaned coilover and one still cleaned in a minor manner with WD-40
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/6489/installanchor033.jpg
Cleanest threads I got.
http://imageshack.us/m/857/9104/installanchor043.jpg
These bitches were durrrrrty.

Anyway, so I finally cleaned them all up and started the install...this should have gone smoothly enough except I found the air hammer and knocked together the welds on the lower bracket...so I got myself a caliper spreading tool and went to town on them spacing and checking, spacing and checking, spacing and checking.
http://imageshack.us/m/651/6631/installanchor081.jpg
Then since I had them completely apart, I antiseized every single thing on them shits.
http://imageshack.us/m/59/223/installanchor087.jpg
Uberjdmangle?
http://imageshack.us/m/825/567/installanchor088.jpg
If you're smart wipe up the excess after you're done...that's what she said?

It was a long process...threading allll the way down, then allll the way up and then putting it back together again. I think it should all be worth it.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3388/installanchor089.jpg
http://imageshack.us/m/862/5087/installanchor095.jpg

peterislazy
05-15-2011, 12:57 PM
POS COILOVERS! (only because they seized up). I have a set of BC Coilovers and they seized up on me... 3 out of the 4 bottom brackets are super seized. I gave up trying to break them free in fear of breaking them period.

Where did your buddy actually apply the air hammer to the bottom mount to break them free?

cameck
05-16-2011, 02:15 AM
Trust me dude, I definitely know the troubles. Haha
What we did, was air hammer the shit out of the bottom bracket on the actual bracket to try and break up any rust in the threads, then put it in a vice (be fackin careful not to damage the threads, I went through a lot of trouble with that.)

Then we air hammered it on the mounting point. Stick a piece of wood or something between the welds though, and make sure it's a solid fit (otherwise and even if you do that it, may cause the mounting points to warp). This was solved in my above post with the caliper spreader. Still another fucking pain in the ass though.

If I had to do it again (which will never happen) I would just be a bit more careful with the steps I took.

Feel free to PM me any questions. If you need me to go more in depth I can ask my buddy who helped me out, but that's the gist of it and idk if he'd be able to tell you much more.

2ez4me
05-16-2011, 03:22 AM
I use to have a set of Megan coilovers i bought used and were seized up badly. 1 was so bad I used the biggest pipe wrench and a 3ft breaker bar with jack handle and even stuck the end of pipe wrench in a 2" receiver and bent the shock insert and never budged..I now have racelands for my forester and they are good now since they are only 2 months old and been adjusting them, but after all this im going to disassemble and lube them til the drown.

JasonG
05-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Coke cola & heat!

private_numero
05-21-2011, 08:37 AM
damn! Nice, good to hear you got it. I guess persistence pays off.

I got lazy and too frustrated with my seized coilover, so i just bought a new one. Then i saw you solved your seized problem, now i hate you. LOL joke

rickybobby
05-29-2011, 07:48 PM
im having the same problem with the megans im going to buy the lower perch is froze i just ordered a new perch and will be cutting off the old one...

Scrape1
05-29-2011, 08:01 PM
PB blaster works for sure and next time so u dont run into this problem again lube up ur coilovers so they dont seize my buddy lubed his before he put his on

bobbyjimmy
05-30-2011, 02:53 PM
I had a seat collar seize up the other day.
Cut a notch in it with a grinder, smacked a cold chisel into the notch and spun the lock the rest of the way off. Lucky I had a few spare collars in the shed.
Cleaned the thread's on the shock body and the other collars with a wire brush, then sprayed them down with brake cleaner - all good.

Kingston
05-31-2011, 02:47 PM
i ran into a collar seizing up today wont budge i dont have pb blaster i used wd40 so i guess that will be my next step... but its really on there broke the coilover wrench luckily i have another...

jastamper
05-31-2011, 02:54 PM
i had the problem with my apexi WS's after giving up on every getting the collars to budge i ordered 10 new collars from apexi which they were pretty cool about. they just grabbed some N-1 collars, made sure they fit the old WS's threads and threw them in a box, paid $25 shipped

bobbyjimmy
05-31-2011, 06:08 PM
i ordered 10 new collars from apexi which they were pretty cool about. they just grabbed some N-1 collars, made sure they fit the old WS's threads and threw them in a box, paid $25 shipped

Tein's are like $10 ea...

cu0ngsayz
05-31-2011, 11:02 PM
if ya havent found how maybe try a rust remover,lubricant, multi use product in that nature... my friends coilover was kinda stuck sprayed some on and it moved easily... and i wouldnt use a chisel on those collars.. they would just snap off if you hit them too much...

Kingston
06-01-2011, 02:51 PM
i got the collar loose now i cant get the strut mount loose at all...

bobbyjimmy
06-01-2011, 06:07 PM
and i wouldnt use a chisel on those collars.. they would just snap off if you hit them too much...

My collar was seized, not the body, so it was the only option - cheaper than fucking the threads on the strut body anyways.

cameck
06-02-2011, 12:36 AM
if ya havent found how maybe try a rust remover,lubricant, multi use product in that nature... my friends coilover was kinda stuck sprayed some on and it moved easily... and i wouldnt use a chisel on those collars.. they would just snap off if you hit them too much...

My collar was seized, not the body, so it was the only option - cheaper than fucking the threads on the strut body anyways.

As long as you're not using a sharp chisel it didn't snap mine even when using an air hammer. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.
I need to order some new collars from Stance at some point, but these will do for now.

Fucking the threads on the strut body is noooooo bueno. I thought I was in deep shit when I did that.
Fortunately I was able to use a thread file and get that shit smooth again. For all intensive purposes, stay away from fucking those though. That was a major bitch and a half.