Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do I even like cars?

Default Why do I even like cars?

So I haven't really had my car to the point where a build thread would really be necessary but I figured why not make one. Fun stuff has been happening lately.

This car is my first car and I've had it for about 2 and a half years. It's a MK5 Jetta with the 2.5 liter Inline 5. So essentially it's half a Gallardo with more convenience...is what I wish people believed.

Bagged it from the start on Rotiforms.

Eh.

Then I got new wheels. They are OZ Pegasus. Front fitment needed real help, the rear was ok. I also put a Wolfsburg front end on which replaces the chrome grilles with black. I also added a few random little things to make it look slightly better.

Then I broke my subframe in half because I don't know how to be on air.

Got really bored with the car and started not liking it. The next season (last year) I widened my OZs, powdercoated them and was now running 2.5 lips all around. Final specs were 17x9.5/10 et 31/37 and switched up my air setup to Airlift Performance series which is essentially bag over coil and bought Koni rear shocks which I hate and will be replacing. These changes made me start liking the car again.

Then I made them BBS silver because cleaning white wheels was not fun. Lost some fender paint too. Weight savings.

So this year I decided to change some stuff. Bear with me.
    U C da ice

No clue what the offsets are. What I do know is they are 17x9.5/10 with a 3.5" lip up front and a 4" out back. Rears didn't fit, luckily I had IDF UCAs already installed which allowed me to dial in -6* of rear camber.

With that I went to Dubs on Defrost

Hashtag hot euro models

Last edited by drift55; 05-15-2014 at 08:31 PM.
    IG: OsakaFlocka

WFC #2258

I also picked up another project. It's a 1996 SL500 that needs some help. The convertible top's motor blew which is more than I can afford so we'll see how fast that gets fixed. A lot of stupid stuff is wrong too like the traction control stopped working but most of it can wait...like the traction control. Plan is to make it low and VIPish.

Locked down a garage in the center of town to make cars cool in. That way I can store stuff and have a warm, dry place to work with.

Went to my friend's garage to discuss how to pump up the ignance.
    He has cool stuff

Formulated a plan and this was the result:

-9 degrees of camber. But then I was like naaaaahhhhhhhh

So now it sits at -11.5

"Finished" it today. I aligned it myself so I could drive it to be aligned. I'll take some sweet phone pics tomorrow when I get it aligned and can actually drive it. I'm working on the front next. My goal is going to be -5ish up front.

WFC #2258

Here's some more pictures of my last look

http://www.slammedenuff.com/paul-wirtas-jetta.html

WFC #2258

I remember seeing that corolla at staggered last year. Thing was dope
    Instagram: @matt.lee.wfc_
    WFC #391
    Quote Originally Posted by hiimdreh View Post
    another Subaru some day.
    Though I'm not too fond of new Subaru owners recently.

Quote Originally Posted by RuhRohh View Post
    I remember seeing that corolla at staggered last year. Thing was dope
    Yeah dude! It's insane! He's finishing his E30 build now and after that's done he's going to start on his AE86.

WFC #2258

Tooled around with the alignment last night so I could be able to drive it to the alignment shop this morning. This is my second attempt and, like the first, I drove the car about a quarter mile and the right rear wheel toed out a lot and started dragging. I didn't really want to deal with it today so I turned it around and put it away after taking some cell phone pictures.

Couldn't air all the way out due to the toe issue but this gives and idea of the rear fitment.

The culprit.

WFC #2258

Bit of an update. Fixed a few small issues and got the car mobile. I don't know how people can put a car away for years to build because my Jetta was in the garage for a week and I was losing the will to live. The car makes me kind of feel like a celebrity. I always got comments about my car but they weren't super common but with the rear camber, I've been stopped at literally every place I've gone by people of all varieties asking questions. It's kinda fun!

Parked up with my buddy Matt.

I still have to pull the fenders a little bit and camber in the front wheels. I'm aiming for -4 or -5 degrees. Also have to get new tires and rear shocks. I also made a few moves with the Mercedes. I'm going to start doing some measurements for bags. I'm hoping to have it ready for H2Oi but that's only if I can save enough to start it in time.

WFC #2258

Homie, idk. I love the wheels and all but 11.5 is just too much in my book. 9 looked good, went well with the body lines. Are you dead set on the oni kyan?
    WFC # 197
    UsVersusThem
    Wagon MOB
    SPECIAL FEEL!
    Quote Originally Posted by mister hashimoto View Post
    john u dont need air just roll how u use to
    Quote Originally Posted by RLB View Post
    I've been on air for a month. Stay static brother. I think i'm gonna go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Subielove View Post
    Homie, idk. I love the wheels and all but 11.5 is just too much in my book. 9 looked good, went well with the body lines. Are you dead set on the oni kyan?
    I agree, my overall plan is to run -11 for a month or so just for fun and then I'm going to dial it back to -8 or -9 and get 18s. I REALLY want Work CR Kais or Gram Light 57Ds. I've always wanted to tuck while I drive.

WFC #2258

Quote Originally Posted by Subielove View Post
    I agree, my overall plan is to run -11 for a month or so just for fun and then I'm going to dial it back to -8 or -9 and get 18s. I REALLY want Work CR Kais or Gram Light 57Ds. I've always wanted to tuck while I drive.

WFC #2258

Both wheels would be sick. For now get these vs's to 8-9 and it will be bueno
    WFC # 197
    UsVersusThem
    Wagon MOB
    SPECIAL FEEL!
    Quote Originally Posted by mister hashimoto View Post
    john u dont need air just roll how u use to
    Quote Originally Posted by RLB View Post
    I've been on air for a month. Stay static brother. I think i'm gonna go back.

i agree ^ the ONI doesn't work with this car iMHO. But hey, it's no my whip. I dig the fact that you went for it.
    Kyle
    WFC #306

Quote Originally Posted by irishguy0224 View Post
    i agree ^ the ONI doesn't work with this car iMHO. But hey, it's no my whip. I dig the fact that you went for it.
    I'm going to try to max out my front camber plates to see where that'll take me tomorrow. It'll probably only go to about -3 or so. Rear should look a little better by then.

Also, the wheel started rubbing on my shock a little more aggressively than before...but only on the right. I think I might have a bit more camber on that side. I also need to get new rear shocks anyway since the Konis are miles too soft. I'm thinking of going with BCs.

WFC #2258

Don't those have a rear beam? how did you pull that much camber? crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by That-Sleez View Post
    Don't those have a rear beam? how did you pull that much camber? crazy!
    I'm one of the few lucky ones. MK5 Jettas are one of the few VWs to have IRS. The MK4 and MK6 have a solid rear beam

WFC #2258

Well, finally got an acurate reading on the rear camber and apparently the phone we used wasn't calibrated because I have -16* of camber! Finally found a solution for the front camber. Someone in FL designed control arm extensions and is starting to test them. I asked if I could also test the product and he seemed into it so hopefully I'll have -7* up front in a few weeks. I also found a lead to fix the motor for the Mercedes's top and I'm going to check that out Saturday. Other than that not much to update. I've just been taking the car to meets around Mass.

Ride height needs work. As soon as I get better rear shocks and camber the front I'll be able to bring it down. The fronts poke too hard.

Please excuse what looks like a wig thrown onto my head. It was windy.

Camber puddles are my new favorite discovery

WFC #2258

So the car is totaled. Some kid was texting in traffic and rear-ended me at about 30 while I was stopped. Since then I've been pulling parts off the car. However I did buy a nearly identical Jetta but with a 5 speed manual so hopefully soon I'll have a nearly identical car with more front camber and a few other things in time for H2Oi.........and maybe a bagged SL500

WFC #2258

Quote Originally Posted by drift55 View Post

So the car is totaled. Some kid was texting in traffic and rear-ended me at about 30 while I was stopped. Since then I've been pulling parts off the car. However I did buy a nearly identical Jetta but with a 5 speed manual so hopefully soon I'll have a nearly identical car with more front camber and a few other things in time for H2Oi.........and maybe a bagged SL500
    That sucks man but i'm glad you're able to swap most of the stuff over to the new car. However I think you need moar static in your life
    WFC #244
    Mid-Atlantic Chapter President

SRT-6 build: http://www.wrongfitmentcrew.com/foru...053#post207053

Instagram: @osshwa

damn dude. so just swap everything over from the old car into the new one?
    anything else in stores other than the front camber?
    Instagram: @matt.lee.wfc_
    WFC #391
    Quote Originally Posted by hiimdreh View Post
    another Subaru some day.
    Though I'm not too fond of new Subaru owners recently.

Quote Originally Posted by OSSHWA View Post
    That sucks man but i'm glad you're able to swap most of the stuff over to the new car. However I think you need moar static in your life
    I was thinking about going static with air cups but I already own the air. I've been saving for something special and that will be static 100%

WFC #2258