Thread: An Englishman travels America

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default An Englishman travels America

so I was speaking to Rob Carmona about putting a thread up about my trip.

Now I have been dreaming of this trip for years now and I started planning it maybe 8 months ago now if not longer!!

I am getting married in exactly a month today well actually it was exactly a month yesterday. We figured we could use our honeymoon as an excuse to do this trip!

the original plan was 3 weeks to do an American adventure. That then extended and extended and then we figured sod it, lets leave our lives and do it over 3 months. This will more than likely be our only chance to leave our jobs and do a trip like this.

We are going to start in California and end in New York, the Mrs really wants to see the Rockefeller tree which goes up at the end of November so the plan

Land in California at the start of September
    Fly home from New York at the end of November.

Here is the planned route, it may change slightly but I would love to hear your opinion and any suggested places to visit and more importantly if any of you are on the route lets meet up!! lets get a drink and some food and do some shit!

Untitled by ben walsh, on Flickr
    Instagram - Benwalsh91

The plan was for me to ship my e36 touring out over there as I know you guys didn't get them its completely stock and in good condition and fairly low millage 328

Untitled by ben walsh, on Flickr

However, it was made in 1995 so unfortunately your 25 year rule ruins that idea!!

so I looked at shipping it to Canada, Halifax, Nova Scotia to be exact and then do the trip in reverse, getting quotes for shipping and then all the import fees it seemed doable but there was a lot of questions on if it would actually be allowed and would need a ton of specific paperwork and then some checks and I just couldn't be fucked with all the hassle so I decided not to and the plan is to now buy a car over there to do the adventure in.

Hopefully Rob is going to check out a car for me soon. I will keep you all updated but I am super excited for it!
    Instagram - Benwalsh91

there are loop holes to getting the car here.. the 25 year rule applies when wanting to register it. people bring over stuff all the time for "track use only." but you're far better off buying something here and then selling it or whatever at the end of your trip. is renting something an option?

your trip looks like a blast! although I'm not on your route you will have a blast non the less!

That sounds like an amazing trip!! If you happen to venture up to Boston Iíd love to meet up! During warmer and fall months, Marthaís Vinyard and Cape Cod are awesome trips to take

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IG: OsakaFlocka

WFC #2258

Thanks for the comments guys.

Yeah I just want to try and keep it as legal as possible as I am travelling a long way and I just don’t want any drama with the police out there. In regards to renting a car my budget is about £3,000 which is $4,500 which I can get quite a nice big car like an e38 740 for example but with a rental car I can only get like a fricking Kia compact thing and I just don’t think it will be comfy enough for the drive and if anything was to happen like the smallest of marks the rental company will kill me on charges and again I don’t want to be paranoid all the time. Plus I think it adds to the fun with buying something to do the adventure in and I can sell it at the end of the trip to get some more money then I can decide if we should fly home or to somewhere in the Caribbean

We did mention going Boston and then into New England but I think it depends on time and money at the end of the trip.
    Instagram - Benwalsh91

Quote Originally Posted by drift55 View Post
    That sounds like an amazing trip!! If you happen to venture up to Boston Iíd love to meet up! During warmer and fall months, Marthaís Vinyard and Cape Cod are awesome trips to take

Fuck it just come to CT and we can head down to NY together. I only live an hour and half away from the city, 2 hours by train.

In regards to buying/selling a car, if you're going to end up in NY I can help you sell the car and transfer the money over. If you buy a 4 door straight 6 E36 I'd even just buy it off of you lol. (Or any kind of Lexus sedan)

Ben we can talk when it gets closer to that time November is my busy season at work but I can always make the trip down to NY to hang
    Instagram: @matt.lee.wfc_
    WFC #391
    Quote Originally Posted by hiimdreh View Post
    another Subaru some day.
    Though I'm not too fond of new Subaru owners recently.

Quote Originally Posted by RuhRohh View Post
    Fuck it just come to CT and we can head down to NY together. I only live an hour and half away from the city, 2 hours by train.

In regards to buying/selling a car, if you're going to end up in NY I can help you sell the car and transfer the money over. If you buy a 4 door straight 6 E36 I'd even just buy it off of you lol. (Or any kind of Lexus sedan)

Ben we can talk when it gets closer to that time November is my busy season at work but I can always make the trip down to NY to hang
    I can absolutely do that

WFC #2258

Oooooo!! I’m excited!!

MANN!! you and I both! bloody can not wait now.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrFAP View Post
    I won’t be in houston Texas around September, but I can get some good friends to link up with you and show you around.

But I’ll be in Austin Texas and I can hang out with you then .
    Yeah I am really down for that, to be honest I think Houston will be more of a stop off as we would have done a lot of Texas at that point. but looking forward to doing Dallas, Austin and San Antonio! 100% going to have to meet up maybe you will have that damn Subaru out on the streets by then.

Quote Originally Posted by RuhRohh View Post

I can absolutely do that

YES! I was thinking of going up to Boston and New England way but I am thinking it may be just a bit cold and snowy by then as that will be early December. I am looking at an e38 740il to do the trip in. something big comfy to cruise along in. The Wife will be with me so wont be really allowed to do to much "spirited" driving.

Definitely going to be helpful having someone near the end of the trip if I need to leave the car with someone, I was toying with the idea of leaving it in Virginia with a friend and getting a rental for the last part of the drive but this will work out much better I think. and we can all hop in the 7 and cruise the city
    Instagram - Benwalsh91

Quote Originally Posted by benwalsh91 View Post
    MANN!! you and I both! bloody can not wait now.

Yeah I am really down for that, to be honest I think Houston will be more of a stop off as we would have done a lot of Texas at that point. but looking forward to doing Dallas, Austin and San Antonio! 100% going to have to meet up maybe you will have that damn Subaru out on the streets by then.

YES! I was thinking of going up to Boston and New England way but I am thinking it may be just a bit cold and snowy by then as that will be early December. I am looking at an e38 740il to do the trip in. something big comfy to cruise along in. The Wife will be with me so wont be really allowed to do to much "spirited" driving.

Definitely going to be helpful having someone near the end of the trip if I need to leave the car with someone, I was toying with the idea of leaving it in Virginia with a friend and getting a rental for the last part of the drive but this will work out much better I think. and we can all hop in the 7 and cruise the city
    I have room at my place, by then the E36 will be in storage mode and won't need as much room to get it in and out of the garage so I'd be more than happy to take it and sell it for you, saves you the extra money of not having to get a rental and all that good stuff. Get an LS400 and I'll give you cash for it lol

Like Paul said November isn't too bad, likely won't be snowy. This is a dope trip I'm glad you're doing like a US tour
    Instagram: @matt.lee.wfc_
    WFC #391
    Quote Originally Posted by hiimdreh View Post
    another Subaru some day.
    Though I'm not too fond of new Subaru owners recently.

One bonus of starting out West is a rust-free California car is worth a premium in the north east so you might even make money lol! Iíd try to stick to something as simple and easy to fix as possible just in case. Although not to too much of a sacrifice of nice-ness lol. E36 sedan would probably be perfect

WFC #2258

One bonus of starting out West is a rust-free California car is worth a premium in the north east so you might even make money lol! Iíd try to stick to something as simple and easy to fix as possible just in case. Although not to too much of a sacrifice of nice-ness lol. E36 sedan would probably be perfect

Yeah thatís a good shout, we may have actually found something and rob is going to take a look this weekend for me at the car. If itís a yes on the car I will put some photos up of it getting excited now!!
    Instagram - Benwalsh91

Oooooo!! Iím excited!!

WFC #2258

I won’t be in houston Texas around September, but I can get some good friends to link up with you and show you around.

But I’ll be in Austin Texas and I can hang out with you then .
    Tuckin' Meats Crew

It shouldnít be snowy yet. We havenít really had snow until real late December/January the last couple years. It will most likely be in the 40s temperature wise so definitely cold lol

WFC #2258