Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tire and Fitment question thread - stretch, offset, width, fenders, and more!

Default Tire and Fitment question thread - stretch, offset, width, fenders, and more!

No question too newb will be denied.

Any fitment related questions should go here. That means tire stretch, ride height, fender rolling, wheel width, etc etc etc...

ask away!
    Last edited by grippymonkey; 04-26-2011 at 07:06 PM.
    WFC #003 - @grippy_wfc

Iv'e got a very basic question regarding wheels hitting fenders.

I cant' seem to figure out how alot of the stanced cars now days (on coils...) manage to not bang there fenders up with their wheels. Yes, I know alot of people do, but then I also see alot of people with perfectly fine fenders.

If you're running alot of poke, I would imagine only the tire hits the fender rather than the rim. But on those cars where the wheel lip is very flush with the fender- does the camber induced when the suspension compresses cause the wheel to miss hitting the fender?

Yes, some cars with poke will actually hit the wheel lip on the fender lip. If your suspension is firm enough, there's enough camber, and your tire stretch catches the fender instead then you will most likely never hit the wheel. I've run super poke before and didn't have an issue. The tire will rub, but if your fenders are smooth and they aren't shredding the tires then you'll be fine. Some cars have natural camber as the car is lowered more or the suspension compresses, but a WRX for example does not.

This is how my poke was in the rear at +10.

WFC #003 - @grippy_wfc

Thanks. What about cars like this (not sure whose this was, took the picture at HF5)

Clearly this isn't the greatest example cause you can see that he does have some slight fender damage, and it may have been bagged as well, but either way I know there are cars out there with similar fitment and dont seem to have any problems. Would that just be a case of super stiff coils or is the induced camber enough to tuck that in?

When trying to figure out what fitments will give the best results, what kind of measurements should be taken to figure out the most agressive or best fitment?

Should I be using my current wheels offsets and widths to establish what I can and cannot accomplish?

I have been on the tirerack wheel offset calculator, should I be using that in conjunction with a ruler, and figuring out manually?

/totaly noob

*Edit*

Decided just to grab a tape measure, do some measurements and play around with the numbers. Let me know if I'm on the right track.

So the stock rims on the Genesis are:

F - 18x7.5 +35
    R - 18x8 +35

The Offsets and Widths that I am deciding on are:

F - 19x9.5 +0 or +12
    R - 19x10.5 +12 or +22

The 19's in question will clear any future brake upgrades (Didnt do the track package boo)

Took some shots of the stock fitment, from the Top of the Fender Down, with some camber adjustments I could probably do an extra inch and 1/4 - inch and 1/2 in the front and an extra inch outwards in the back without getting mexipoke.

So in reality if I go from a 8 to a 10.5 in the back I will have to get an offset that brings the wheels in atleast 2-1.75" and from 7.5 to 9.25 in the front I would have to choose an offset that brought the wheel back in 1.25-1.5"

So if my math is right the best for the fronts at stock height would actually be 19x9.5 +22 and the backs would be the same at 19x10.5 +22. However upon getting some coils I could probably pull the 0 offset all around with the camber settings and tire widths?

Am I thinking about this right at all? haha.
    Last edited by bumjubeo; 06-12-2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Adding more data to be more clear.

so question about stretched tires... i'm thinking about running more aggressive stretch on my rims. whats the fastest speed you can safely run on aggressive stretch?
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/pimpin240sx/IMG_1626.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 7ender View Post
    Would that just be a case of super stiff coils or is the induced camber enough to tuck that in?
    I can't answer you about that specific car because I don't know. Chances are he might hit his wheels on the fender, but he may have it dialed in perfectly that the natural camber on compression will tuck the wheel in.

Quote Originally Posted by bumjubeo View Post
    When trying to figure out what fitments will give the best results, what kind of measurements should be taken to figure out the most agressive or best fitment?

Should I be using my current wheels offsets and widths to establish what I can and cannot accomplish?

I have been on the tirerack wheel offset calculator, should I be using that in conjunction with a ruler, and figuring out manually?

/totaly noob

*Edit*

Decided just to grab a tape measure, do some measurements and play around with the numbers. Let me know if I'm on the right track.

So the stock rims on the Genesis are:

F - 18x7.5 +35
    R - 18x8 +35

The Offsets and Widths that I am deciding on are:

F - 19x9.5 +0 or +12
    R - 19x10.5 +12 or +22

The 19's in question will clear any future brake upgrades (Didnt do the track package boo)

Took some shots of the stock fitment, from the Top of the Fender Down, with some camber adjustments I could probably do an extra inch and 1/4 - inch and 1/2 in the front and an extra inch outwards in the back without getting mexipoke.

So in reality if I go from a 8 to a 10.5 in the back I will have to get an offset that brings the wheels in atleast 2-1.75" and from 7.5 to 9.25 in the front I would have to choose an offset that brought the wheel back in 1.25-1.5"

So if my math is right the best for the fronts at stock height would actually be 19x9.5 +22 and the backs would be the same at 19x10.5 +22. However upon getting some coils I could probably pull the 0 offset all around with the camber settings and tire widths?

Am I thinking about this right at all? haha.
    You are doing pretty good. I don't know how you are figuring up the offset though. The lower the number the more outward the wheel goes. If you go from a +45 to a +20 for example on the exact same sized wheel it will be push outward 1" more. A 19x9.5 +12 wheel would stick out almost 2 inches more than a 18x7.5 +35 wheel.

I do know that for your car you could fit the 19x9.5 +12 front and 19x10.5 +22 rear without too much effort. You would probably want to run a 235/255 staggered tire size. It'll be a little bit of stretch, but nothing insane. The camber shouldn't be too extreme (-2 to -3 range), and since the Gencoupe's fenders are factory rolled you'll be good to go there also. You will need coilovers also.

Quote Originally Posted by audi-goodness View Post
    so question about stretched tires... i'm thinking about running more aggressive stretch on my rims. whats the fastest speed you can safely run on aggressive stretch?
    This is definately a newby question . How much stretch are we talking? I've done 160mph on a slight stretch before. Time Attack cars in Japan generally run a little stretch. If you are running an extreme stretch that took two cheetahs to blast the bead on the rim, the tires need to be inflated at 50+psi to hold a seal, and you have to add more PSI every couple hundred miles... then I wouldn't probably be doing top speed runs on a setup like that. If it's something that easily went on the rim at your local tire shop then it will likely never fall off. The point of stretch is for fitment or looks.

I couldn't and wouldn't tell you a "fast" MPH that would be considered OK.
    Last edited by grippymonkey; 06-12-2010 at 10:36 PM.
    WFC #003 - @grippy_wfc

good to know. i'm planning on running 215/40/18 on an 8.5" up front and 225/40/18 on 9.5" in the rear. i'm thinking more of a daily driving type of speeds like 65 to 85mph. would these daily driving speed be ok on that kind of stretch?
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/pimpin240sx/IMG_1626.jpg

yeah that's not a big stretch at all
    WFC #003 - @grippy_wfc

i have a question im runing 15x8 with 195/45/15 are they good for drifting for the front for the back i will be using used tires

josh, whats teh usual tire size for 18x9.5 ... im guessin 225/40/18?

if i had 18x9 wheels and i wanted to have just a little stretch. i mean just a tad haha what tire size would i use. 225/40/18? and what would be normal for a 18x9 wheel? thank you

Quote Originally Posted by evilchargerfan View Post
    215/40/18...
    LowerClassMen
    RHD Bugeye Crew

Quote Originally Posted by joeone View Post
    i have a question im runing 15x8 with 195/45/15 are they good for drifting for the front for the back i will be using used tires
    I have no idea what you just said, but you'll be fine man.

Quote Originally Posted by evilchargerfan View Post
    yeah if you are using a standard sized or narrow sized tire like a Toyo or Falken then 225's are fine... otherwise get a 215 if you are going federal or something kinda wide

Quote Originally Posted by rafafan 7 View Post
    if i had 18x9 wheels and i wanted to have just a little stretch. i mean just a tad haha what tire size would i use. 225/40/18? and what would be normal for a 18x9 wheel? thank you
    just a little? 225's will do. Once again some brands run thick so you may want a 215/40 if you are going with a cheaper wider type tire
    WFC #003 - @grippy_wfc

so if 215/40 for a 9.5. 225/40 for a 10.5?
    [url]http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/features/htup_1107_2002_honda_s2000/viewall.html[/B]
    http://urbanflth.blogspot.com/2010/0...-me-wrong.html
    http://fatlace.com/hellaflush/s2k-x-social-club

^it's possible to do a 225/40 on a 10.5 but it's definately a heavy stretch. I personally would do a 245/35/18

You can check the tire stretch gallery on the blog... there isn't tons of sizes, but it's a good start.

this is a 245/35/18 on a 18x10
    WFC #003 - @grippy_wfc

just a little? 225's will do. Once again some brands run thick so you may want a 215/40 if you are going with a cheaper wider type tire
    what brands stretch the best?
    Last edited by grippymonkey; 06-14-2010 at 06:03 PM.

I just said right above the post you quoted me from that brands like Falken and Toyo stretch well.
    WFC #003 - @grippy_wfc

ohh my bad. thanks grippy. sorry about that haha i guess i need to get a bit better at reading,

Sumitomo HTR Z-IIIs stretch well to my liking from using them on past two sets of wheels.
    2009 TRUE RED Mazdaspeed3 GT NAV - WFC #1989
    MazdaFitment.com | Royal Origin | Tumblr